CALL TO WOOD ARTISTS / PROSPECTUS
Volcano Wood Show Exhibition
Saturday, July 17 through Sunday, August 8, 2021
We are grateful to the Hawai’i Forest Industry Association for their assistance
Participants must use woods from Hawaiʻi-grown trees, especially trees planted and brought to maturity in Hawai`i.ʻŌhiʻa is prohibited, for more information see Hawai’i Forestry Extension: Rapid ʻŌhiʻa Death. Ceratocystis Wilt of ʻŌhiʻa http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestry/disease/ohia_wilt.html
Information about unique technique or historical background of materials
- Use of wood from Hawai`i endemic species other than Acacia koa is not allowed, even if salvaged or deadfall. See list of Inadmissible Endemic and Indigenous species.
- Wood salvaged or recycled from sources such as demolitions, green waste, and beaches may be used unless from an inadmissible species.
- EXCEPTIONS will be made to allow wood from cultivated rare and endemic tree species. Documentation required.
- Entries limited to four (4) per person. An entry may consist of more than one item if there is a relationship between them, such as a table and chairs of like design.
- The deadline for entries is June 17, 2021
- The entry fee is $30.00 for one entry, $ 20.00 for additional entries. Entry fees are nonrefundable.
- Large entries must be freestanding, self-supporting, display hanging will be limited.
- A 30% commission is assessed by VAC on all entries sold through the show based on retail.
- All entries must remain on display for the duration of the exhibition until 4 pm, Sunday, August 8.
- Shipping of sold entries is the responsibility of the entrant in agreement with the buyer.
- VAC shipping department will be available to assist with shipping at an additional cost.
- Liability: VAC will not be liable for damages incurred to individual entries. Participation is at the risk of the Entrant. While VAC makes every effort to handle every entry with care, the Entrant signature required on the entry form serves as an acknowledgment that the
- Applicant indemnifies VAC against damage or loss incurred in any phase of handling. Entry Forms will not be accepted without a signature.
- Shipping work to Volcano: VAC does not anticipate entries from sources outside of Hawaii Island.
- Docent Requirement: Entrants are required to serve as a docent one shift per accepted piece or to designate someone to fill this requirement.
RESTRICTIONS: All work will be limited to 6 feet in its longest dimension, and smaller in other dimensions. Hanging pieces and any work with unusual installation requirements will need pre-approval. If you have any questions you MUST contact VAC to determine installation limitations.
PARTICIPATING ARTIST VISITOR SHOW BOOKLET
THIS IS A SUPPLEMENT ENTRY INFO
The VAC will produce an artists’ show booklet giving visitors an opportunity to learn more about participating artists. Entrants should provide photos, a resume, and item descriptions by the entry form deadline of June 17. Information may be submitted electronically with the following information: Category in which pieces are entered, pricing, materials used, artist email information.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS, SET UP, SHOW STRIKING
Opening Reception Friday, July 16, 4 – 6 pm OPEN TO PUBLIC
Saturday, July 17 through Sunday, August 8, 2021
- The VAC show committee jurors will examine entry descriptions as they are received, will contact entrants asking for clarification if necessary, and will alert entrants of any noncompliance in as timely a manner possible.
- Jurors are asked to make an initial vetting of submissions to assure the highest caliber of work for the exhibition. If a submission does not meet the jurors’ standards, the work must be picked up by Tuesday, July 13, 2021.
- Jurors receive information on each piece. Names are concealed.
- Jurors select a pool of exceptional entries from which Best of Show, First Place in each category, and Honorable Mention awards may be selected by mutual agreement.
Main: Experienced woodworker
Novice: The Novice Division is open to all interested woodworkers
Student: Elementary, High School, or full-time College student entries will be held to the same entry rules but will not be juried. A first student entry will be free of charge additional entries, a maximum of 3 will be $20 each.
DIVISIONS, ENTRY CATEGORIES, JURYING
Awards are determined at the discretion of the Jurors and presented on opening night.
- Best of Show
- First Place Awards: may be selected in each category.
- Honorable Mention Awards: may be selected independent of categories.
Special Awards: open to all entrant’s determined by jurors & Award underwriters.
- People’s Choice and Artists’ Choices: determined after exhibition based on public input.
Please fill out one form per woodwork entered. Return form, along with one overall and one detail color photo** of the woodwork and the entry fee of $30 for the first entry ($20 for each additional entry) to Volcano Art Center Niaulani Campus in Volcano Village, or via mail/ carrier to Volcano Art Center, PO Box 129, Volcano, HI 96785.
ENTRY FORMS MUST BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN JUNE 17, 2021