CALL TO WOOD ARTISTS / PROSPECTUS
Volcano Wood Show Exhibition
Saturday, July 17 through Sunday, August 8, 2021
We are grateful to the Hawai’i Forest Industry Association for their assistance
Participants must use woods from Hawaiʻi-grown trees, especially trees planted and brought to maturity in Hawai`i. ʻŌhiʻa is prohibited, for more information see Hawai’i Forestry Extension: Rapid ʻŌhiʻa Death. Ceratocystis Wilt of ʻŌhiʻa http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestry/disease/ohia_wilt.html
Information about unique technique or historical background of materials is requested.
- Use of wood from the list below is not allowed, even if salvaged or deadfall.
• koai‘a, Acacia koaia
• kōlea, Myrsine spp
• kōpiko, Psychotria spp
• lama, Diospyros spp
• lapalapa, Cheirodendron spp
• loulu, Pritchardia spp
• māmane, Sophora chrysophylla
• manele, Sapindus spp
• maua, Xylosma spp
• mēhamehame, Fluggea neowaraea
• naio, Myoporum sandwicensis
• neneleau, Rhus sandwicensis
• ‘ōhi‘a lehua, Metrosideros polymorpha*;
• ‘ōhi‘a ‘ai, Syzygium malaccense
• ‘ōhi‘a hā, Syzygium sandwicense
• ‘ohe makai, ‘ohe mauka
• ‘ohe‘ohe, Polyscias spp
• ‘ōlapa, Cheirodendron spp
• olopua, Nestegis sandwicensis
• Uhiuhi, Caesalpinia kavaiensis
- Wood salvaged or recycled from sources such as demolitions, green waste, and beaches may be used unless from an inadmissible species, listed above.
- EXCEPTIONS will be made to allow wood from cultivated rare and endemic tree species. Documentation required.
- Entries limited to four (4) per person. An entry may consist of more than one item if there is a relationship between them, such as a table and chairs of like design.
- The deadline for entries is June 17, 2021
- The entry fee is $30.00/ $20.00 VAC members/ $10.00 for students for one entry, $10.00 for additional entries. Entry fees are nonrefundable.
- Large entries must be freestanding, self-supporting, display hanging will be limited.
- A 30% commission is assessed by VAC on all entries sold through the show based on retail.
- All entries must remain on display for the duration of the exhibition until 4 pm, Sunday, August 8.
- Shipping of sold entries is the responsibility of the entrant in agreement with the buyer. VAC shipping department will be available to assist with shipping at an additional cost.
- Liability: VAC will not be liable for damages incurred to individual entries. Participation is at the risk of the Entrant. While VAC makes every effort to handle every entry with care, the Entrant signature required on the entry form serves as an acknowledgment of liability.
- Applicant indemnifies VAC against damage or loss incurred in any phase of handling. Entry Forms will not be accepted without a signature.
- Shipping work to Volcano: VAC does not anticipate entries from sources outside of Hawaiʻi Island. All shipping costs are the responsibility of the artist.
- Docent Requirement: Entrants are required to serve as a docent one shift per accepted piece or to designate someone to fill this requirement.
RESTRICTIONS: All work will be limited to 6 feet in its longest dimension, and smaller in other dimensions. Hanging pieces and any work with unusual installation requirements will need pre-approval. If you have any questions you MUST contact VAC to determine installation limitations.
PARTICIPATING ARTIST VISITOR SHOW BOOKLET
THIS IS A SUPPLEMENT ENTRY INFO
The VAC will produce an artists’ show booklet giving visitors an opportunity to learn more about participating artists. Entrants should provide photos, a resume, and item descriptions by the entry form deadline of June 17. Information may be submitted electronically with the following information: Category in which pieces are entered, pricing, materials used, artist email information.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Opening Reception: Friday, July 16, 4 – 6 pm OPEN TO PUBLIC
Exhibit Hours & Location: Saturday, July 17 through Sunday, August 8, 2021 open Wednesday-Sunday, 10am-4pm at VACʻs Niaulani Campus in Volcano Village.
- The VAC show committee jurors will examine entry descriptions as they are received, will contact entrants asking for clarification if necessary, and will alert entrants of any noncompliance in a timely manner.
- Jurors are asked to make an initial vetting of submissions online to assure the highest caliber of work for the exhibition.
- If a submission does not meet the jurors’ standards, artists will be notified by June 25th.
- Jurors receive information on each piece. Names are concealed.
- Jurors select a pool of exceptional entries from which Best of Show, First Place in each category, and Honorable Mention awards may be selected by mutual agreement.
- Delivery of all accepted entries are to be delivered to Hale Hoʻomana at VAC’s Niaulani Campus in Volcano Village at 19-4074 Old Volcano Rd. on Sunday July 11th between 10am -2pm. Other delivery arrangements can be made by contacting Emily by July 7, 2021, at (808) 967-8222
- Jurors reserve the right to reject entries that do not represent the initial online registration.
A sign up sheet will be available at drop off for gallery sitting during the exhibition. Entrants are required to serve as a docent one shift per accepted piece or to designate someone to fill this requirement.
Main: Experienced woodworker
Novice: The Novice Division is open to all interested woodworkers
Student: Elementary, High School, or full-time College student entries will be held to the same entry rules but will not be juried. A first student entry will be free of charge additional entries, a maximum of 3 will be $20 each.
Awards are determined at the discretion of the Jurors and presented on opening night.
- Best of Show
- First Place Awards: may be selected in each category.
- Honorable Mention Awards: may be selected independent of categories.
Special Awards: open to all entrant’s determined by jurors & Award underwriters.
- People’s Choice and Artists’ Choices: determined after exhibition based on public input.
Please fill out one form per woodwork entered. Return form, along with one overall and one detail color photo** of the woodwork and the entry fee of $30/$20 for VAC members/ $10.00 for students for the first entry ($10 for each additional entry) to Volcano Art Center Niaulani Campus in Volcano Village, or via mail/ carrier to Volcano Art Center, PO Box 129, Volcano, HI 96785.
ENTRY FORMS MUST BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN JUNE 17, 2021