Honoring King Kamehameha
Saturday, May 21st – June 26th, 2022
Juried Art Contest
A Call to Artists:
King Kamehameha Celebration, 150th Anniversary. Call for Entries!
Juried art exhibit celebrating 150 years of Hawaiʻi honoring King Kamehameha, The Great.
On June 11th, 1872, Hawai‘i held its first King Kamehameha Day celebration. The holiday was decreed by royal proclamation in 1871 by King Kamehameha V, grandson of Kamehameha I. The holiday was intended to celebrate the legacy of not only his grandfather but the father of the Hawaiian nation. June 11, 2022 marks the 150th anniversary of this noble holiday.
In honor of this very special day the Volcano Art Center is soliciting works of art that celebrate the life and legacy of Hawaiʻi’s great warrior and statesman. Art of any media may be entered that expresses the relevance of the great king including the indigenous language and culture of the Hawaiian Islands today.
Volcano Art Center Gallery is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) educational organization founded in 1974.
Mission: Volcano Art Center develops, promotes and perpetuates the artistic, cultural and environmental heritage of Hawaiʻi’s people through the arts and education.
Vision: Volcano Art Center is a place of creative exploration, discovery and empowerment, providing the Volcano community, Hawaiʻi Island residents and visitors with opportunities for educational and spiritual enrichment. Volcano Art Center is a dynamic and innovative organization that benefits the economic and cultural vitality of Hawaiʻi Island.
Entry forms: All entries must be submitted digitally. A photograph of each artwork is required to complete the online submission.
Entry Fee: $10 Adult/$5 VAC members. Adults may register up to three works of art. Keiki/Student entries are Free.
Fees payable to Volcano Art Center.
- Submit up to three entries (one image each, in a jpg format) and the brief statement about how it relates the theme of Honoring King Kamehameha The Great using the online submission form below. Artists will be notified of accepted works by May 6th, 2022.
2. Delivery: Shipped works of art must arrive no later than Friday, May 13th. Drop off of selected works of art in person on May 13 & 14th, between 10am -2pm at VAC’s Niaulani Campus.
(19-4074 Old Volcano Rd. ) in Volcano, Hawaiʻi.
- Work should have been created in the last five years, and must be ready to display. 2-D works must be ready for installation. 3- D works must be stable. Any specific hardware or installation needs must be communicated prior to artwork delivery.
- Artwork framed behind glass is not acceptable. All framed works need to be framed behind UV Plexiglass.
- Work must be for sale. (No “NFS” or deliberate overpricing). The Volcano Art Center retains 50% of the retail price.
- 2 Dimensional works must not exceed 60” x 60”, 3 Dimensional works must not exceed 240” girth and/or 250lbs.
CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE
- Artists accepted into the show must send an email confirmation upon acceptance. By submitting the information provided with entry the Volcano Art Center has rights to post the work on their gallery website, social media outlets and within a paper brochure for the event.
- Accepted artwork must be the actual artwork as seen in the submitted images. No substitutions.
- Volcano Art Center reserves the right to reject any artwork that differs from the images in the submission.
- Accepted artwork listed for sale must be for the price listed in the submission. No last-minute price changes.
- Volcano Art Center will retain a 50% commission for any artwork sold–please factor this into your pricing.
- Artists are responsible for shipping & optional shipping insurance to and from Volcano Art Center. A prepaid return shipping label must be included. Fedex or UPS only. No cash or checks.
- Shipped work must be sent in reusable, sturdy boxes and marked with your name. No loose peanuts.
Adult Entry Form Here: $10 Adult/$5 VAC members
Between April 15th – April 29th, 2022.
Keiki Entry Form Here: Keiki/Student entries are Free
Deadline to apply: Friday, April 29th at 11:59 PM
Exhibition: May 21 – June 26, 2022
Jurying: April 30, 2022
Notice of Acceptance: On or before May 6th
All selected works must be received at VAC by May 14th
Quilts In The Forest
Looking Forward, Honoring The Past, 4th Biennial Quilt Show in Volcano, HI.
Friday, July 22nd – August 14th, 2022
Open to all Hawai’i Island Quilters
A Call to Artists:
Application Entry Dates: April 1st – May 27th, 2022.
Deadline to apply: May 27th at 11:59 PM
Entry forms: All entries must be submitted digitally at www.volcanoartcenter.org/quiltshow. A photograph of each artwork is required to complete the online submission.
Entry Fee: A non-refundable entry fee must accompany each application: $25 for one entry, $ 40 for two, and $ 50 for three entries. Pay by check, payable to Volcano Art Center, cash or credit card.
- Each entrant can submit up to 3 pieces of work. The show committee has the discretion of choosing work subject to the space available.
- Each piece can be no larger than 85 wide x 105 tall” (Queen size).
- Entry must consist of at least 3 layers, held together by some form of stitching, by hand or machine.
- Quilts must have a 4” hanging sleeve, attached to the top. Quilts without sleeves will not be accepted without prior arrangements with the show committee.
- The value must be listed for all quilts, for sale or not.
- Entries must remain on display for the duration of the show whether sold or not.
- Quilts made from kits will not be accepted.
- There will be an artist/ VAC split of 60/40 (65/35 for VAC members) on all sales.
Acceptance: Artists will be notified of acceptance via email by Friday, June 10th, 2022.
Accepted quilts may be shipped as long as they are received by Friday, July 15th. Please notify VAC if you plan on shipping your quilt.
Drop off of accepted quilts in person on Friday, July 15th between 11 am -2 pm at VAC’s Niaulani Campus. (19-4074 Old Volcano Rd. ) in Volcano, Hawaiʻi.
For more information or if you have any questions contact Fia Mattice at (808) 967-8222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- VAC reserves the right to omit from the exhibition accepted quilts that differ dramatically from what is represented by the photo submitted online.