The Volcano Art Center (VAC) is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) educational organization founded in 1974 to promote, develop, and perpetuate the artistic and cultural heritage of Hawai‘i’s people and environment through activities in the visual, literary, and performing arts.
VAC is based out of two locations in Volcano on the Big Island of Hawai’i, at Kīlauea, the world’s most accessible and active volcano:
Volcano Art Center Gallery is located in the 1877 Volcano House Hotel under a cooperative agreement with the National Park Service. Centered at Kilauea, home to Pele, the Hawaiian goddess of the volcano, of creativity, of Fire, Volcano Art Center Gallery has been a mecca for visual artists since 1974. This dynamic and powerful environment has inspired the Hawaiian people and their crafts, songs, dances, and legends for centuries. Today, the Kilauea region continues to draw artists, performers, writers, scientists, and educators from around the world to create, reflect, learn and embrace the beauty and power of the natural world. The working world is now so hugely changed too with so many remote workers, but you can use remote employee monitoring tools to check on their activity so it’s not such a bad thing at all.
Volcano Art Center Ni‘aulani Campus Administration Offices and educational facility are located in Volcano Village, nestled within the Niaulani Rain Forest. From the steaming edge of Kilauea to the nurturing wet roots of the old growth `Ohia forest, Volcano Art Center staff, board, artists and supporters know we are blessed to live and work among such beauty, and a place so alive with inspiration and mana to
create, regenerate and exhilarate!
Job Opportunities Currently Available:
- Sales Associate
- Program / Events Coordinator
Please see below for more information.
JOB TITLE: Sales Associate
REPORTS TO: Gallery Manager
The Volcano Art Center (VAC) is a non-profit organization that operates a gallery in Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park and has offices and educational facilities in Volcano Village. The gallery is located in the historic 1877 Volcano House near the Kilauea Visitor Center. The gallery represents local and national artists who are or have been inspired by the natural and cultural environment of the Kilauea region of Hawai`i Island.
Sales Associates handle all aspects of daily sales of artwork at the Volcano Art Center Gallery as well as interpret the building to visitors. Sales Associates provide information on the art, artists and merchandise displayed, and contribute to the overall Park Visitor experience. Sales Associates represent the Volcano Art Center and the National Park Service and support the mission and vision of both organizations.
Please Note: This is primarily a part-time sales position.
Please send your resume highlighting past sales experience to email@example.com
JOB TITLE: Program/Events Coordinator
REPORTS TO: CEO
The Program Coordinator oversees the implementation, coordination and administration of all aspects of any programs (classes, workshop, events) in accordance with the mission and the goals of the Volcano Art Center. The Program Coordinator performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following: planning, organizing, staffing, directing volunteers and controlling all financial aspects of each program activity.
The program coordinator directs new and existing programs in accordance with the annual budget; implement goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of programs, workshops and related events in a safe manner for all participants including:
- Maintain program records including evaluations to increase strengths of and to identify areas for improvement; participation, communications including emails for statistical and marketing communication purposes.
- In collaboration with management, participate in the development of the VAC annual budget relating to programs.
- Develop funding proposals for new programs.
- Ensure that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of the Volcano Art Center.
- In consultation with management participate in the recruiting, well-qualified program volunteer staff
- Ensure that all staff, members of the board and volunteers are informed and aware of all programs as necessary for participation and support.
- Support program participants, instructors, students and staff by providing direction, input and feedback
- Monitor, approve be responsible for all budgeted program expenditures.
- Manage all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all financial records for programs are up to date
- Provide accounting required information to have invoices generated and submitted in a timely manner.
- Monitor the program activities on a regular basis and conduct an annual evaluation in preparation for the following year’s budget.
- Recommend changes to programs to enhance effectiveness and establish new programs.Please Note: Program Coordinator works a standard forty hour work week but may be required to work some evenings and weekends to monitor program activities.