Join Heather Penfield on Saturday, January 21, 2023 , from 9am – 11am., for the Cooking with Canoe Plants Workshop at Volcano Art Center Niaulani Campus.
In this workshop you will learn:
- Learn the importance of the first edible plants brought to Hawaii by Polynesians.
- Explore five or more different plants and how to buy and prepare them.
- Gain hands-on experience making recipes from start to finish. Including salad, main course and dessert.
- Discuss the nutritional, social & economical benefits of buying locally grown produce.
- Handout with recipes
- Samples of the recipes we make
We will use in season produce:
Ulu (breadfruit), Uala (sweet potato), Olena (turmeric), Kalo(taro), Ko(Sugarcane), Mai’a(banana), Niu (coconut), Ohi’a ai (mountain apple), & Ki (ti)
The class fee is $55/$50 for VAC members plus a $20 supply fee.
For more information or to register call Volcano Art Center at 808-967-8222