19-4074 Old Volcano Rd
Volcano, HI 96785
with Lois and Earl Stokes, Certified Zentangle Teachers
Saturday May 11, 2019
Set aside a morning at the Volcano Art Center to Breathe, Relax, Create and Heal
Zentangle is an easy-to-learn, relaxing and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.
It is the repetitive nature of these patterns that brings us into a state of relaxed focus that some call meditation.
The Zentangle method can be approached as an art form and as a mindfulness meditation practice. Either way you can experience a state of relaxed focus as you learn how to deliberately shift your attention into the present moment.
On this journey, we will
- Learn about and use labyrinth seed patterns to create a path for our Zentangle art
- Approach Walking a Labyrinth and Zentangle as a ceremony
- Practice drawing slowly and deliberately
- Focus on the process not the outcome with appreciation and gratitude
- Experience the benefits of creating art for healing
All art supplies will be provided. In this class you will receive:
- a “Zen Board” crafted by Lois using a Chinese water Calligraphy mat – a magic surface where your drawings disappear.
- a Chinese crafted paint brush and a water jar
- A blotter for practice drawing with pen and pencil
- Special papers for your inked labyrinths
- An idea mover (eraser)
- Handouts of labyrinths and seed patterns
Everyone is welcome. No prior knowledge of the Zentangle Method is necessary. This is a potluck so please feel free to bring some food to share.
Cost is $35/$30 VAC members plus a $10 supply fee. Students are invited to bring snacks to share.